2 cones drill
The 2 Cones Drill is a test frequently used in the world of sports and training, very simple to perform and it only requires little equipment. With this test, the subject’s acceleration capacity and his/her ability to make rapid changes of position and direction in an efficient manner can be measured. All these factors are considered determinant from a performance point of view in most sports.
- Required Material: A flat non-slip surface, 2 cones and marks to delimit the course of the circuit, a tape measure and a stopwatch.
- Procedure: For this test, 2 cones are placed in a straight line at a distance previously established by the evaluator. The goal of this test is to cover the distance between the cones in the shortest possible time. This test is fully customizable in terms of the distance between the 2 cones and the number of sections to be covered by the subject (total distance). Furthermore, as can be seen in the illustrations, different types of displacements can be chosen for evaluation:
- A – Front run
- B – Backwards run
- C – Lateral run
- D – Figure-of-8 lateral run
- E – Figure-of-8 front run
The subject shall start the test with his/her foot behind one of the two cones and the test will be concluded when the participant completes all the previously established sections. In the figure-of-eight tests (D and E), the subject must go around the cones on the outside, whereas in the linear running tests, the evaluator can choose how to turn: reach the cone, go around it or even touch it with the hand (cone height 30 cm).
- Assessment: It is measured in seconds (sec) and the subject has a maximum of 3 attempts on each test variation. In Fisicalcoach, the lowest time, as well as the mean and the median can be recorded.
- Remarks: Since in exercises that require changes of direction, performance depends on the angle and speed during execution, different tests should be considered and the most specific and appropriate one should be chosen in each case. Fisicalcoach has a large set of tests available to perform.
Take this test and 139 more in our App